We are what we are. A bunch of young adults trying to break through the glass ceiling. This is where we will post our successes, our failures, tips for other writers, and other such things.

Friday 9 December 2011

Sickness and the Flow of Creativity

Sorry no one has updated this in forever, I have my reasons though.

So, last Wednesday I had my tonsils out. And as a warning, if the doctors ever suggest it for you: Don't. It was some of the worst pain of my life.
But that's beside the point right now.

Now I thought, before I got them out, that I would use my week and a half recovering to do some writing. Oh, how wrong I was.

Around day 4 I managed to drag myself from my bed and collapsed in front of my desk. I opened my current chapter in word, put my fingers on the keyboard, and waited for the usual magic of writing to take me over.

Only, it never did.
I tried to write a few sentences, but when I read over them 5 minutes later I realized how much they sucked. So, I tried again.
And again.
And again, but alas, to no avail.

And then it got me thinking today (day 9, in case you were curious), why? Why couldn't I get a single damn word out! I knew where I want to go, I had these next chapters planned out entirely, but I just couldn't write it.

And I think I've stumbled upon something we all need to watch for.
I'm calling it the 'Health to Creativity' rule.

The healthier you are, the better your brain functions. Now this is a no brainer, but had you ever thought that maybe, the healthier you are, the more creative you are?

Have you ever tried writing when you are sick? It's hard, isn't it. Yet when you're not sick, it's quite easy isn't it? It all flows and the words make sense and the sentences seem nice and occasional (for me) poetic.

Health is a very important factor for Writers regardless. I mean, what do we do all day? Sit at a computer, a laptop, a typewriter, a journal, and do what? Nothing physical. So then its crucial, if like me, when you're not healthy or well you can't write, that you need to get healthy. You need to eat well, exercise, and stay on top of virus' and what not.

How much exercise do you do? Would you call yourself healthy? How do you stay active when all you want to do is sit and write?
I'd love to know.

2 comments:

  1. My old housemate was a writer, but he took horrible care of himself. He ate terribly, got drunk all the time, worked long hours and never slept regular hours. He seemed to think that living a stereotypical 'bad student' lifestyle would make him a better writer because of the experience it offered him. I don't write very much specifically but I tend to agree with you. I feel much more creative and inspired and find it easier to concentrate on making something when I'm feeling well and well rested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete